A ton of cool stuff was announced in the keynote at Apple's WWDC yesterday, here is a good list of some of the things announced:
- Available in July.
- 29.99 pay only once for all your mac computers(under the same app store id I assume).
- Download only through app store.
- A ton of mult-gesturing controls in the gui.
- Seemless peer to peer wifi file sharing(great feature).
- 200 new features.
- Notification Center - all notifications go to single screen.
- Notifications will be non-interruptble.
- Twitter -full twitter integration in apps, notably(Camera, YouTube, Safari and Maps).
- Tabbed browsing.
- Email stories from the browser.
- Reading lists, which can be synced across multiple devices.
Reminders (awesome looking list maker!)
- Store multiple list with dates to remind you
- Can assign location to remind you of task upon arrival or departure of a certain location.
- Faster and easier access to camera even if phone is locked. Double tap home button, tap camera icon, even if the passcode is set you can't see anything else until you enter the passcode
- Volume up button can be set to take photos now. Hmmm believe Camera+ had this first then they were banned from the app store for sneaking that feature in an update.
- Optional grid lines so you line up shots or use the rule of thirds.
- Pinch to zoom
- Hold finger to auto-focus and auto-exposure lock in addition to tapping, another feature taken from Camera+ app.
- Basic editing from iPhone.
- Crop and rotate
- Red eye reduction
- Rich text formatting
- New keyboard option: grab it with your thumbs and go up and it splits. Kind of like an ergonomic keyboard for your thumbs.
- Dictionary from iBooks is integrated not just in mail but available for all apps where it might be needed.
- Search, not only the phone but also searches your mail server now.
- S/MIME for encryption to make your mail more secure.
- Messaging service between iOS users(iPhone, iPad and iTouch)
- Delivery receipts, read receipts, and real-time typing notification, video, photos... pushed to all devices
- Cross-device integration so you can start a conversation on your iPhone and pick it up on your iPad.
- iPhone,activates after you turn it on, no more iTunes activation.
- Updates are over the air and delta updates occur so only changes get updated, no longer removing the software and installing it again after update.
- Wifi sync to iTunes
- When charging at night, will find iTunes, back up and sync.
- iCloud stores content in cloud, wirelessly pushes to all devices. Completely integrated into apps. Right now Pages, Numbers and Keynote have the functionality, these were released last week and currently work well with MobileMe.
- MobileMe apps have been completely re-written to work on the iCloud.
- Contacts added in any device are pushed to the cloud and then sync'd down to all the other devices.
- Calendars works about the same, make any changes and they get pushed. Plus, you can share your calendars with other users.
- Get an @me.com account and all your mail messages are sync'd and pushed across.
- MobileMe used to cost $99 annually. iCloud will be free!
- AppStore, which lets you see all your app purchases, even if they're not installed on the current device.
- Tap on the cloud button and apps are pulled down to the current device. When you buy a new app or a new device everything is propagated across again.
- Every day content will be backed up. Get a new device? Just type in your ID and password and there's your content, pushed right there. Backed up over WiFi only, including purchased music, books, photos and videos, device settings, and App data as well.
- Pages, Numbers, and Keynote storage and integration into iCloud
- Photo Streaming, Any photos taken on any devices are pushed to the cloud and then sent to the other devices. Automatically.
- Apple will store the last 1000 photos uploaded to the cloud and keep photos for 30 days, If you want to keep something permanently, just move it into an album. On the Mac or PC, all are stored permanently.
- iTunes - Anything bought can now be downloaded to any of your devices at no additional charge. No charge for multiple downloads to different devices.
- There's a new "Purchased" tab in iTunes. You can look at all your albums find anything you like, and then just hit that cloud button.
- It's 256Kbps AAC and you can push to up to 10 devices.
- 5GB space for backups, documents and mail for free.
- iTunes Match Software will scan your tunes and match it up with those songs in the store. If any songs don't match they'll be uploaded for you. Anything that's matched is upgraded to 256Kbps AAC, without DRM.
- iTunes Match costs $24.99 per year regardless of how many songs you have.